Google Analytics UTM URL Builder:
Running a Facebook campaign, sending out an email to your subscribers or running a Google AdWords campaign but don’t have the figures that how many visitors you got from your specific campaign.
Don’t worry, after reading this post you will be able to track every visitor and each campaign.
In this post, I am going to tell you that how to track your campaigns. How to make a trackable web link to track your traffic and campaigns.
First of all, you need to know about UTM URL builder. Yes, this something which will solve your problem.
What is UTM and how it works?
UTM stands for “Urchin Tracking Module“. UTM codes are pieces of text which we use in a URL. It tells Google Analytics and other analytic tools a bit more about each web links like your traffic, campaign etc.
It looks like below
There are 5 UTM parameters you need to set to track your web link. Each parameter carries a separate value.
- utm_source= This parameter identifies the source of traffic like facebook, google, email etc.
- utm_medium= It identifies the medium of advertising or marketing like banner, email newsletter, cpc etc.
- utm_campaign= It identifies the individual campaign name like promo_code, spring_sale etc
- utm_term=This parameter identifies the paid search keywords.
- utm_content= This is used to differentiate similar content on the same URL. Suppose that you used a URL twice for two different email messages, with the help of this parameter you can track that which URL receives more attention.
Normally, you don’t need to use all 5 UTM parameters in UTM URL builder tool. You can only use 3 UTM parameters, those are utm_source, utm_medium, and utm_campaign.
How do I use Google Analytics UTM URL builder?
Go to Google Analytics UTM URL builder (click here) and follow the following steps.
1.Enter the web link where you want to add UTM parameters
2. Add UTM parameters according to your requirements. First three are needed.
3. UTM URL builder will generate a link, you need to copy that link to use in your campaign (like Facebook ads, Google AdWords, Email newsletter etc)
Where can I see my campaign in Google Analytics?
- Login to Google Analytics
- Select “Acquisitions” and click on “Campaign”
Due to privacy, I have not shown you my campaigns in the above screen shot. You will see all the campaign on the right side.
You will see that how much traffic you received and what was the source of traffic. I suggest you, use UTM URL whenever you share your web links on social media or through email, it will help you to figure out that from where you got a visitor on any particular URL. This free UTM builder will help you to create a trackable URL. However, you can also make your UTM URL manually.